Virtualization is fundamental in enterprise IT environments. Today, more than two-thirds of servers have been virtualized, and this number continues to grow.
In virtualized environments, workloads and resource allocations change dynamically, hour by hour and even minute by minute. With the amount of dynamic change inherent in virtualized environments, it’s hard for IT Operations teams and application managers and to always know, at any given point in time, where all of the various IT infrastructure components that deliver application services reside. It can also be difficult to identify service problems and quickly and precisely identify the root cause of an application performance or availability issue.
Virtualization also typically introduces new tools that frequently duplicate or overlap with the existing monitoring tools. Virtualization tools are usually very vendor- and hypervisor-specific, and don’t provide a unified, comprehensive, end-to-end view of service delivery across all of the different physical and virtual components in the IT infrastructure.
In order to ensure service delivery in a virtualized environment, you need a real-time, unified, end-to-end view of your IT infrastructure, a view that includes both virtual and the physical resources.
Why Use Zenoss for Virtualization Monitoring?
Zenoss Service Dynamics makes managing virtualized environments easy. Zenoss combines management of virtual servers, guests, and workloads with comprehensive management of physical servers and network devices to provide a complete solution for virtual infrastructure monitoring.
With a model-driven architecture, Zenoss automatically tracks virtual configurations and relationships while providing full event management, performance measurements, testing thresholds, and availability reports.
With Zenoss, you can automatically and consistently manage services, prevent service disruptions, and report on service levels for both physical and virtual resources. Zenoss also allows you to comprehensively monitor resource performance and availability, including applications, databases, middleware, and Web servers, regardless of their physical or virtual location.
Zenoss Virtualization Monitoring Capabilities
- Discovery of hosts, host CPU, virtual machines, resource pools, clusters, virtual disk images, network adaptors, and other key components
- Automatic configuration and relationship tracking
- Memory, throughput, CPU utilization, storage, and disk read/write metric monitoring
- Gathering of consistent service metrics through the use of synthetic transactions
- Identification of deviations from expected service levels through the use of predictive thresholds
- Fast root cause analysis of file system issues, which reduces MTTR and minimizes service disruptions
- Clear view into the end-to-end service impact of application, network, storage, and virtual host and guest issues
- Quick identification of storage-related performance bottlenecks that impact end users
- Full event management, performance measurements, testing thresholds, and availability reports
Zenoss Virtualization Monitoring ZenPacks
Citrix XenServerCitrix XenServer ZenPack
Automatic discovery of XenServer components such as pools, hosts, host CPUs, physical block devices and NICs, storage repositories, and more. Performance metric collection for pools, hosts, host CPU, physical NICs, storage repositories, and more.
Microsoft Hyper-VMicrosoft Hyper-V ZenPack
Automatic discovery of Hyper-V entities and monitoring of Hyper-V Server and its components. Monitoring of Hyper-V server, host CPU and network adapter, resource pools, and virtual machine and virtual network adapters.
VMware vSphereVMware vSphere ZenPack
Automatic discovery and periodic remodeling of VMWare vSphere components, along with performance monitoring, event management, and service impact and root cause analysis.